[Framers] Still stuck with CGM images

cuc tu cuc2u at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 07:42:20 PDT 2019

Howdy Framers,

Can FrameMaker produce vector CGM images? I mostly have external vector images in ai and any format Illustrator can create and Frame seems to rasterize everything to a very low resolution when saving to XML.

Also, I read from the dev guide:

"For example, assume you have an instance of the Graph graphic element that contains graphics
you created with FrameMaker’s graphics tools. By default, the software creates the following
markup entity for it:
<!ENTITY graph1 SYSTEM "graph1.cgm" NDATA cgm>
Also, the entity attribute of the graphic element has a value of graph1 to correspond with the
above entity."

I tried this by drawing a simple shape and also just "drawing" a text line. The resulting files were mif. I don't know where I might have changed the default, but is there something in the R/W rules that need to be entered? I have defined all graphic elements to be converted to CGM. Where does mif fit into the xml specification?

If this is not a capability that Frame has, is there an easy way around this issue? My client is recommending isodraw or auto-trol. I've tried numerous online converters and a few trial versions to convert what I have, and the result is either the same or worse, such as random lines and fills. The suggested solution are likely to be both cost prohibitive and have too steep a learning curve.

Thanks for any advice and for all the help you've given before. I have come a long way because of it.

C2