[Framers] Nostalgia - was Re: FrameMaker 2015

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 10:46:31 PDT 2020

I started out as a temp, not a tech writer, which meant I got to work on a
whole LOT of systems. My agencies used to send me when someone called in
with a program they'd never heard of, because they figured I either knew it
or could figure it out very quickly. Alphabetically, they were,

DECmate (?)
FrameMaker
MASS-11
Multimate
Office Writer
PC-Write
Philips Micom
Volkswriter
Wang
WordPerfect
WordStar
XyWrite
emacs (VERY LITTLE)
vi (even less)

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 12:32 PM L Larson <l2larson at outlook.com> wrote:

> Wow, this brings up SO many memories...
>
> Does anyone remember Micom, where an 8" floppy could hold as much as 100
> pages of straight text? How about Displaywriter, one of the first to move
> from a dedicated system to a PC?
>
> Later, I remember having to choose between Word Perfect, WordStar, and
> Word for a PC, and chose Word Perfect because it favored keyboard commands
> over Word's menu commands and a cleaner look than WordStar.
>
> Those were the days when Wang and Interleaf were used by companies like
> General Motors.
>
> Finally, in the early 90s, I was able to move to an early version of FM
> for large document sets. What a joy it was then!

Lin Sims