[Framers] Adobe licensing is migrating to subscription based

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 08:45:43 PDT 2020

I'm not Adobe, but I can confirm that as of the 2020 version, all the
products in the Technical Communications Suite are subscription only. They
are also 64-bit software only.

The information in October was correct for FrameMaker 2019 and TCS 2019. If
you purchased a perpetual license for any of the products in TCS 2019, it
remains good.

Be aware that Adobe has also moved to an N-1 support program. If I recall
correctly, that means they provide support for the current and immediately
previous version of their product.

I'm not surprised the website hasn't caught up. Whoever manages Adobe's
websites never seems to get around to the products they consider to be
niche. For example, through my job I have a subscription to FrameMaker, but
if I go into my account to download it, the link takes me to Creative Cloud
instead, and has for more than a year. When 2020 was released, I literally
had to fill out the form for a trial product, even though I have a
subscription. Once it's installed, though, logging into Adobe verifies the
subscription.

Additional information: For those of you who still have Creative Suites, it
is no longer possible to activate CS 1-3. Those servers are retired. You
can still activate CS 4-6, but support is minimal. I think you can get the
number of activations reset and that's about it.

--
Lin Sims