[Framers] Rendering embedded Visio with shading/pattern fill from FM to PDF problem

Simon Buch Simon.Buch at m-ais.com
Wed Dec 30 11:14:48 PST 2020

Hello,

The last time I tried using Microsoft Visio OLE objects with
FrameMaker was quite some years ago, and produced poor results while
printing.  It turns out that Microsoft Office can handle OLE objects,
but almost nothing else.

At the time, WordPad [write.exe] was the Microsoft approved
application for testing OLE, and produced very poor results -
especially in diagrams with clouds and shadows.

The solution was fairly easy - export Visio to a file format that
other applications can use, and pick the one that works best. This was
by far the easiest way so that every file could be version controlled
and managed well.

Typically, if problems are reported in FrameMaker, I like to see how
other applications handle the content - and often don't.

Regards
// Simon BUCH -- M-AIS