[Framers] Rendering embedded Visio with shading/pattern fill from FM to PDF problem

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:43:01 PST 2020

I can tell you that exporting the Visio to PDF works perfectly. The export
to SVG less so: as long as there are no stencil objects or grouped objects,
the SVG works. If there are objects added from stencils or if you group
anything, you'll find parts of objects moved all over the place. I believe
the developers have been trying to solve this for a while (I have a bug
report and they've contacted me about it), but I don't know yet if they've
fixed it. PDFs tend to blow up the file size, even when imported by
reference, but at least they work!

I have a vague memory of trying to open an SVG created by Visio in
Illustrator and seeing the same issue. I don't know if that means it's an
issue with the Visio export (which would not surprise me, as Microsoft is
notorious for "customizing" things so they only work properly in their own
products) or an issue with import by Adobe products. I do know that the SVG
created by Visio export displays just fine in any browser I've opened them
in.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 2:15 PM Simon Buch <Simon.Buch at m-ais.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The last time I tried using Microsoft Visio OLE objects with
> FrameMaker was quite some years ago, and produced poor results while
> printing.  It turns out that Microsoft Office can handle OLE objects,
> but almost nothing else.
>
> At the time, WordPad [write.exe] was the Microsoft approved
> application for testing OLE, and produced very poor results -
> especially in diagrams with clouds and shadows.
>
> The solution was fairly easy - export Visio to a file format that
> other applications can use, and pick the one that works best. This was
> by far the easiest way so that every file could be version controlled
> and managed well.
>
> Typically, if problems are reported in FrameMaker, I like to see how
> other applications handle the content - and often don't.
>
> Regards
> // Simon BUCH -- M-AIS
>

> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 22:02, Orly Zimmerman <orlyzim at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > HI All, I'm currently running FM16 - 2020 via the Adobe Technical
> Suite.I have a number of Visio's embedded in my chapters. I've noticed that
> if some of the Visio items use shading or pattern fills, this does not
> translate well to PDF. (I get black or white boxes completely obliterating
> parts of the image).Maybe I'm using the wrong PDF setting to get these to
> show properly ?Or is it that I just can't use Visio OLE objects with
> shading/pattern fill via FM?
> >
> > Also, the OLE image, viewed in the FM itself is a little off, but the
> PDF is completely illegible.Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!Orly

> > Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com

Lin Sims