[Framers] CMYK color matching from InDesign to Frame

Monique Semp monique.semp at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 07:55:16 PST 2020

   Hi Doug,
   I don't have a straightforward answer for you, but I do have some
   factoids that might help, from when I dealt with this the last time I
   was using FrameMaker (2016). (I don't recall the details of any of
   this, and do not have a working installation of FrameMaker at the
   moment. This info is all from email that I have from the time, when I
   was working with the designer of the marketing templates, and trying to
   match their branding in my own FrameMaker templates for the user docs.)
   I seem to have found that the PDF distiller options also came into
   play. And that how things looked in FrameMaker, onscreen, didn't match
   the appearance of the generated PDF.
   One of the big keys is understanding FrameMaker's underlying color
   model:
   [1]https://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/WS7C8062E1-BB5C-42
   b2-8C02-C188EC91D8F9.html.
   So here's what I ended up with:
   I. In my Adobe PDF Settings, in the Color settings:
   * Color Management Policies: Convert All Colors to sRGB
   * Document Rendering Intent: Preserve
   Working Spaces:
   * RGB: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
   CMYK: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
   II. In the FrameMaker "PDF Setup for Selected Files" Settings' tab:
   * PDF Job Options: choose the profile that you set up per the above
   (item I).
   * In the radio button selections for RGB.
   III. Change the color definitions from their CMYK values to the
   appropriate RGB values. Manually do this conversion. I wrote, "when you
   toggle in FrameMaker between CMYK and RGB, the values that get
   auto-converted/auto-populated do not match the values you get if you do
   a manual/outside-of-FrameMaker conversion."
   IV. In your FrameMaker INI file (maker.ini), set the
   GetLibraryColorRGBFromCMYK setting to None. (Mine had by default been
   Printer; changing it to None apparently fixed things.)
   The above combo did the trick, although I didn't really understand shy.
   My theory was: "The color management policies setting doesn't make much
   sense, but my theory is that nothing is getting subjected to the Color
   Management Policies, and so it's a red herring."
   I hope that some of this helps,
   -Monique