[Framers] Kudos to Adobe

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 28 10:19:33 PST 2020

Gang,

Because at least one Adobe staffer that I know of frequents this list, I'd like to offer my own shout-out to Adobe for helping me with a nasty problem a few weeks ago.

It was only after trying to access the Windows 10 program called "Moviemaker" on my home-based terminal, not finding it and then not being able to get it to download from the Microsoft Store website that I discovered that my Windows 10 installation was corrupted (probably from a small power glitch that was too weak to blink the lights).

While my third-party apps worked just fine, getting Moviemaker was a problem and even getting a similar, supposedly built-in app called "Photos" to open was also a problem. That meant literally several weeks of online, screen-sharing episodes with Microsoft technicians who were very patient and showed me what was corrupted and not repairable. We tried many times to reinstall Windows 10 as an overlay, so as not to disrupt my programs and folders and files, but to no avail. This meant a "custom re-installation" of Windows 10 that would, you guessed it, essentially reformat my C-drive and leave me to reinstall my thtird-party apps.

As I stated in my previous email about MadCap Flare, my previous employer refused to allow us to upgrade our software or learn new tools. That's why my tech pubs group remained with six-year-old versions of FrameMaker, Acrobat, and so forth. (Although one former manager purchased software, then decided not to use and gave it to us.)

So when it came time for me to legally reinstall my oldie-but-goodie version of FrameMaker on my home-based platform, but couldn't locate my original installation CD, I contacted Adobe, fearing the worst from seeing long-ago horror stories posted by other tech writers. The Adobe tech support person really came through for me (after verifying my product key/serial number) to download my version of FM onto my terminal, install it and then test it to make sure it opened and functioned properly.

Thank you Adobe!

I also urge everybody to download and use Belarc Advisor to record and store a data file of literally every piece of hardware and software on your platform.

Thanks again,

-- Kenpo in Atlanta