[Framers] FM2019 Volume and Chapter Numbering

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Jan 7 09:39:10 PST 2020

Winfried,
     I agree with you about avoiding chapnum, etc. You are correct that
using counters is more flexible because it allows multiple chapters,
sections, or volumes to appear either in separate documents or grouped
into one. Furthermore, I find using counters easier to maintain since
all details are defined in the paragraph formats and there is no need to
set document numbering properties in addition. The paragraph catalog has
to be maintained in any case.
     By the way, I worked on a project in which a thousand-page book
might have close to a hundred appendices. There were lots of
cross-references between files. Updating the book took many, many hours
when each appendix was in a separate file and a tenth of that time when
groups of related adjacent appendices were placed into a single file,
reducing the number of files in the book to about 15.
     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.