[Framers] FrameMaker 2020

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 05:48:25 PST 2020

What is an optical margin?

Also, if you're looking for "old style numerals", are you talking about
where numbers like the 3 extending slightly below the baseline? That
appears to be a function of the font set as much as anything else. I'm
pretty sure I've seen fonts that provide that still.

As for super/subscripts or numerators/denominators, again, depending on the
font you use, there are font sets that include super and subscript glyphs
that work well as numerators and denominators, instead of using the
superscript/subscript function on the character designer. I've got a whole
set of variables that are just constructed fractions using built-in font
glyphs. (We use Source Sans Pro because it has a lot of the mathematical
symbols we need and it also lets us construct those fractions.)

At any rate, if there are features you'd like added, you can always put in
a feature request: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home
Talk about them here and I'm sure a bunch of us would vote for them. You
can also make requests on the Adobe FrameMaker forum:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/bd-p/framemaker?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all
and
tag it with Feature Request.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 6:17 PM Mike Wickham <info at mikewickham.com> wrote:

> New versions of FrameMaker always seem to concentrate on adding features
> for the structured community. I get it. That's the strenght of the
> program. But the new features I'd like to see involve handling of
> graphics and type. For example, it would be nice to be able to make a
> graphic float in the middle of a two-column page, and have both columns
> wrap around it. Or how about taking advantage of the various OpenType
> features that InDesign can handle with ease, but Frame is clueless
> about-- like easy, true small caps, or oldstyle numerals? Or optical
> margins and hanging indents, for a more modern, refined look in printed
> docs? Or a separate offset setting for numerators and denominators?
> Right now, you can set superscript and subscript offsets to work for
> either super/subscripts or numerators/denominators, but not both.
>
> Mike
>
> On 1/15/2020 2:54 PM, TW Smith wrote:
> > Over the years, I've beta tested a few FrameMaker versions. I always test
> > on live projects, which I know isn't the best idea, but it gives me
> > information about how the beta works in the real world. Before the beta
> > concludes, I save my project files as MIF, so I can continue documenting
> in
> > the non-beta, current FM version. Not sure what I need in a new version
> of
> > FM. Probably stronger Word filters, a better way to round-trip MIF, and a
> > more robust and straightforward way of finding missing fonts in the
> actual
> > files. Cheers.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM Robert Lauriston <robert at lauriston.com>
> > wrote: