[Framers] Has anyone experienced FM2019 crashes while importing EDD in books?

Simon BUCH simon.buch at m-ais.com
Wed May 20 08:23:50 PDT 2020

Hello,

I have had a troublesome EDD problem.  I have structured a FM book
containing structured FM files, which have been opened and updated to
FM15/FM2019, but the element definitions [EDD] in the book and the files
is from the previous version FM14/FM2017.

As my FM15 EDD contains some structural changes - to table structures, I
need to import them.
If I select all the files in the book, and import EDD from the FM14 EDD,
all the files are updated.
If I select all the files in the book, and import EDD from the FM15 EDD,
all the files are updated.
If I import the FM14 EDD to the book, the book EDD version updated, and
File > Save works.

But ... if I import the FM15 EDD to the book, the book EDD version is
updated, but File > Save crashes FrameMaker with an Internal Error dialog.

I have been able to workaround this crash by using File > Save As ;
saving as MIF 2019 format; File > Close ; File > Open the MIF ; and
finally File > Save as FM 2019 document format.

Rather frustratingly, if I remove the changes of one table structure of
one of the documents, the Book can be updated and saved without error.
But if I try changing the EDD - while still keeping the document and
book structure valid - and try the operation again, I can either get the
FrameMaker Internal Error dialog, or worse still, FrameMaker just being
killed off and the process dies with no warning.

Has anyone else experienced such an effect?

// Simon BUCH