[Framers] Fwd: Weird spacing in PDF output

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Sat Sep 12 12:13:29 PDT 2020

Well, now that you've discovered the exact pathway to that creates the
error, of course you're going to report it, so it gets on the list of fixes
needed. You can see my long memory as evidenced by recalling the automatic
replacement of InterLeaf.

This reminds me of something a little longer back: (BTW, this is not just
an old guy showing off he's still cooking upstairs, by dredging up random
old stuff, it's pertinent here!) I worked at a database software company
that rocketed to fame and riches around the same time Frame Technology and
Adobe did. However, it's long-gone. A couple of years after I got laid-off
with a few thousand others, when the company had gone into several
tailspins because management had overruled QA and released supremely-buggy
products which lost customers' faith, I met someone who told me he'd been
the last project manager on the product. He'd been called in "to fix the
problems in quality, for good, this time, and get the company back on
track." He told me that the first place he started was with meeting the
developers and digging into the most-commonly known bugs and irritants.
First on the list was the odd differences with how the built-in text editor
that was used to enter command-line commands, enter data into database
fields, design the database files, and write and edit code, depending on
how the user invoked it. "So, I asked, 'who's responsible for this editor,'
and 35 hands went up." The problem was that it was so easy to write an
editor, that there was no single spec for it. Every developer who needed
one in his or her modules just wrote one on the spot, and, of course,
didn't document it, "because everybody know how to do it, so why bother?
So, that's when I left."

It looks like when the TOC source material is processed differently into
PDF by Print > PDF vs. Save As > PDF. Same kind of problem.

Glad you've identified and solved the issue so you can move ahead, and also
good that you've shared it with the community.