[Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Fri Aug 6 07:29:04 PDT 2021

Thanks, but I tried this approach and the equations are not being recognized
as media/graphics objects. There is no media folder w/ the equations as
PNGs. I have no idea why they are being recognized as media objects for a
web export, but not this approach. The equations are being rasterized at a
quality that is good enough for the web, but definitely not for print. I
have a workaround that Ric helped me with , but it's a long tedious one but
at this point, I don't know if I have any other options. I will keep taking
any and all thoughts. Thanks! TVB Tammy Van Boening Tammy dot vanboening at
spectrumwritingllc dot com www.spectrumwritingllc.com -----Original
Message----- From: Framers On Behalf Of Caroline Tabach Sent: Thursday,
August 5, 2021 10:59 PM To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker
software. Subject: Re: [Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF
Possibly you don't have to save as html. I can't check this right now, but
docx, is itself xml. This is how you can get graphics from a Word docx, by
changing extension to zip Text below is from a text from David Creamer to
this list a few years ago, but I don't remember where I learnt it There are
various tutorials on the web I might suggest a slightly different way of
getting the graphics out of a Word file (works for PowerPoint too)... Make
sure the file is in the .docx format, not .doc (and .pptx, not .ppt) Make a
copy of the file for safety Change the file extension from .docx to .zip
Open the zip file Look for the doc folder (or ppt) Look for the media folder
All the graphics are there--usually in a higher quality than a web export
Give it a try to get your graphics files On Fri, 6 Aug 2021, 01:32 , wrote:
> I have an equation-laden document that I am writing. The equations are >
being created in a Word doc (.docx) using Word's native equation > editor.
The .docx file is then saved as an .htm/.html file and all the > equations
in the document are automatically saved as .pngs in a > separate folder
named as image.(n), where n is the image number. I > double-click an
equation in this folder to automatically open the > equation in my image
editor (SnagIT - I don't need anything as heavy > as Photoshop as I am not
doing any modifications to the equations) and > save the equation without
any changes to it whatsoever with a new > name. I then import the image into
Framemaker by > reference. I don't mess w/ the dpi of the image when I
select it for > import - any image in the folder that was created during the
saving of > the Word file shows a dpi of 96 in the Imported Graphic Scaling
dialog > box when I select it for import and although this seems nutty to me
> (because none of the images are over-sized). . . they look clear and >
crisp in the source FM file (The Advanced Properties of any image in >
SnagIT is also showing a resolution of 96 dpi); however, upon > generation
of the PDF, it goes to h*ll in a handbasket. The equation > looks almost as
if the font is almost bold and therefore much darker > than the text in the
FM source file, and it's not nearly as crisp and > clear as in the source FM
document - it actually looks > blurry/pixelated. > > > > Initially, the font
that was being used in the equations is Cambria > Math, Size 14 with a
default color of black without any lightening of the color. > (The font that
is being used in the book is also set to a default > color of black without
any lightening of the color.) I tried > lightening the font color by
different percentages in the Word > document and then regenerated the
equations as graphics, and that > helps a bit, but overall, these graphics
are just not nearly as crisp > as they need to be in the final PDF. Any
other graphics that were > taken as a capture and then imported by reference
as PNG are as crisp > as I am used to in FM. > > > > > > I am just at a loss
for how to get this cleared up, but it's > absolutely mandatory that I get
this problem resolved because the > whole focus of the book is the
equations. > > > > Any thoughts are sincerely appreciated. > > > > TVB > > >
> www.spectrumwritingllc.com > > 303-840-1755 > > > > > _____ > > > < >
https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign= >
sig-e > >
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_camp >
aign=s > ig-email&utm_content=emailclient > > > Scanned by McAfee > < >
https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign= >
sig-e > >
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_camp >
aign=s > ig-email&utm_content=emailclient >
=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&ut >
m_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>> > and confirmed virus-free. >