[Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Fri Aug 6 08:09:52 PDT 2021

Hi Lin, Thank you for the approach. The extra rub is that I need to produce
another document that uses the exact same equations but w/out all the text
of this current guide - basically, just an appendix of equations, so I need
to be able to share them among multiple files. I was trying to write once in
Word and save to PNG so that I could obviously import by reference into
multiple documents and have just one location (the Word document) where I
would maintain updates. Compliments of Ric, I have a variation of this w/
saving the Word doc to a PDF, cropping the document to get the equation that
I need as a PDF and importing as a PDF. Yes, very tedious, but at least I
can share among multiple files and as w/ your approach, I now have vector
files for the images, not rasterized files, so they remain crisp and clear
no matter the zoom level in the PDF. (So you and Ric were on the same page-
great minds do think alike!) I just wish there was a way to automate this,
but for now, I will plow through unless someone comes up w/ a different
approach. Thank you again! TVB Tammy Van Boening Tammy dot vanboening at
spectrumwritingllc dot com www.spectrumwritingllc.com -----Original
Message----- From: Framers On Behalf Of Lin Sims Sent: Friday, August 6,
2021 8:40 AM To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software.
Subject: Re: [Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF Also,
below is what I suggested on the Adobe community, in case you hadn't seen it
yet: Just for giggles, I tried saving a Word file with an equation in it as
an RTF and then using Frame to open the file. The equation came over okay,
and when I save the file to PDF, it looks the same in the PDF file as in the
Frame or Word files. Perhaps what you can do is save the Word file with all
the equations as RTF, then open it in Frame and just copy the relevant
equations into place as you go? You won't be able to update them as they get
imported as PNGs, but they look crisp enough to me. Note: I am using Word
365 and FrameMaker 2020, fully patched. I do not know how or if this will
work in earlier versions, but it surely can't hurt to try. On Fri, Aug 6,
2021 at 10:38 AM Lin Sims wrote: > Ouch. My sympathies. > > On Fri, Aug 6,
2021 at 10:24 AM wrote: > >> I am not the one responsible for creating and
maintaining the equations. >> They are maintained by a SME on the client
side and the SME needs >> them in a tool that he can use which is Word.
Tammy Van Boening Tammy >> dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com >>
www.spectrumwritingllc.com -----Original >> Message----- From: Framers On
Behalf Of Lin Sims Sent: Friday, August >> 6, >> 2021 6:06 AM To: An email
list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software. >> Subject: Re: [Framers]
Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF >> Probably a stupid question,
but is there a reason you're creating the >> equations in Word rather than
in Frame's Equation Editor? On Thu, Aug >> 5, 2021 at 6:32 PM >> wrote: > I
have an equation-laden document that I am writing. The >> equations are >
being created in a Word doc (.docx) using Word's >> native equation >
editor. The .docx file is then saved as an >> .htm/.html file and all the >
equations in the document are >> automatically saved as .pngs in a >
separate folder named as >> image.(n), where n is the image number. I >
double-click an equation >> in this folder to automatically open the >
equation in my image >> editor (SnagIT - I don't need anything as heavy > as
Photoshop as I >> am not doing any modifications to the equations) and >
save the >> equation without any changes to it whatsoever with a new > name.
I >> then import the image into Framemaker by > reference. I don't mess w/
>> the dpi of the image when I select it for > import - any image in the >>
folder that was created during the saving of > the Word file shows a >> dpi
of 96 in the Imported Graphic Scaling dialog > box when I select >> it for
import and although this seems nutty to me >> > (because none of the images
are over-sized). . . they look clear >> > and > >> crisp in the source FM
file (The Advanced Properties of any image in >> > SnagIT is also showing a
resolution of 96 dpi); however, upon > >> generation of the PDF, it goes to
h*ll in a handbasket. The equation >> > looks almost as if the font is
almost bold and therefore much >> darker > than the text in the FM source
file, and it's not nearly as >> crisp and > clear as in the source FM
document - it actually looks > >> blurry/pixelated. > > > > Initially, the
font that was being used in >> the equations is Cambria > Math, Size 14 with
a default color of >> black without any lightening of the color. > (The font
that is being >> used in the book is also set to a default > color of black
without >> any lightening of the color.) I tried > lightening the font color
by >> different percentages in the Word > document and then regenerated the
>> equations as graphics, and that > helps a bit, but overall, these >>
graphics are just not nearly as crisp > as they need to be in the >> final
PDF. Any other graphics that were > taken as a capture and then >> imported
by reference as PNG are as crisp > as I am used to in FM. > >> > > > > > I
am just at a loss for how to get this cleared up, but >> it's > absolutely
mandatory that I get this problem resolved because >> the > whole focus of
the book is the equations. > > > > Any thoughts >> are sincerely
appreciated. > > > > TVB > >> > > >> > > > > > Tammy Van Boening > >
Principal/Owner > > Spectrum Writing, >> > > > > > LLC >> > >> >
www.spectrumwritingllc.com > > 303-840-1755 > > > > > _____ > > > < >> > >
>> https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign >>
= > sig-e > > >>
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam >> p >
aign=s > ig-email&utm_content=emailclient > > > Scanned by McAfee >> > < >
>> https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign >>
= > sig-e > > >>
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam >> p >
aign=s > ig-email&utm_content=emailclient > >>
=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&u >> t >
m_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>> > and confirmed >>
message is from the Framers mailing list > > Send messages to >>
framers at lists.frameusers.com Visit the list's > homepage at >>
http://www.frameusers.com Archives located at > >>
http://www.mail-archive.com/framers%40lists.frameusers.com/ > >> Subscribe
and unsubscribe at > >>