[Framers] Table of Contents issue in FM-generated PDF

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 11:21:59 PST 2021

You need to set up bookmarks for them to be generated. Below is a general,
high-level procedure which should get you most of the way there. You may
need to tweak a few things as you go. The help files actually do, for a
change.

   1. In the TOC file, click Format > Document > PDF Setup
   2. Move your headings tags from the Don't Include pane to the Include
   pane.
   3. Click on each heading level and use the Bookmark Level arrows below
   it to set up your hierarchy.
   4. Make sure Generate PDF Bookmarks is selected.
   5. Regenerate the book (Edit > Update Book with your focus in the book
   file)
   6. Save the files in the book.
   7. Save the book as PDF.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Harrington, Matthew (Contractor) <
Matt.Harrington.Contractor at usap.gov> wrote:

> Hi Framers,
>
> I'm having a little FrameMaker-generated PDF issue with the table of
> contents (TOC) and wondered if anyone might know a solution? Maybe this is
> the way PDFs have always worked when generated from Adobe FrameMaker, but
> my use of FM is intermittent, so I don't remember. I have been scouring the
> Internet on and off over several days seeking a solution, but coming up
> empty.
>
> So, an example in contrast first: when I convert a Word document to a PDF
> using 'Save As PDF', the TOC automatically converts all of its entries into
> hyperlinks to those headings throughout the document (much as bookmarks
> generated by FrameMaker do in a PDF). In both Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and in
> Foxit PhantomPDF I can then go to Edit [PDF] > Link and click the 'Add/Edit
> Web or Document Link' function, which highlights every entry in the TOC
> with a nice bounding box. I can then modify where they link by making
> changes in right-click > Properties.
>
> A few months ago I was upgraded from FrameMaker version 12.0.4.445 to
> FrameMaker version 16.0.0.754 and still running on a Windows 10 laptop in
> both cases (FM 12 is still on my laptop, but I do not use it). Even under
> FM 12, I don't believe the generated PDF would let me to do what I
> described above with its generated PDF opened in Adobe Acrobat. Instead, it
> seemed like I was only able to do those things with Foxit PhantomPDF. For a
> large document, containing hundreds of headings this is a HUGE timesaver.
>
> However, under FM 16, it appears I can't get the TOC bounding boxes even
> with Foxit PhantomPDF. None of the settings under the 'PDF' option under
> the FM Publish function jump out as the issue-though I do not know if
> clicking either "Create Tagged PDF" (section 508 stuff) or "Use Acrobat
> Distiller for PDF generation" would fix this. Oddly, when I click that
> 'Edit > Link' function in either Adobe Acrobat Pro DC or in Foxit
> PhantomPDF, I do get the bounding boxes in my List of Figures, List of
> Tables, and Index. This makes me inclined to think it may be more of a TOC
> setting in FrameMaker, but I don't know. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm
> stumped.
>
> Thank you,
> Matt

Lin Sims