[Framers] Displaying multiple attribute values in different paragraphs (Re: Another Simple Structured App)

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Wed Apr 6 19:43:35 PDT 2022

C2,

   I plan on answering some of your questions in a series of different
messages. Here's the first one:

On 4/6/2022 2:58 PM, cuc tu wrote:
> So I need to figure out how to get the formatting to work. It seems I can sometimes pick to use a para format, but the attributes do not allow different paragraphs for different attributes in the same element. I've tried the formatting as shown here and also in the Prefix/Suffix rules.

    XSLT can help you display different attributes in different
paragraphs with different formats. If you are given an XML document that
contains:

<ScpiCommand
           ClassName="LaunchSetupType"
           ClassLongName="Launch Setup Type"
           ClassDescription="Sets the launch setup type. Outputs the launch setup type."
           String="SYSTem:LAUNch:TYPE"
           Overlapping="false"
           Lockable="false"
           Type="Both">
         <CommandParameters>
           <Parameter Name="LaunchSetupType" Type="Enum" Enum="LaunchSetup" Description="Launch setup type to be set" />
         </CommandParameters>
         <QueryResultParameters>
           <Parameter Name="LaunchSetupType" Type="Enum" Enum="LaunchSetup" Description="Launch setup type to be read" />
         </QueryResultParameters>
         <Examples>
           <Example Name="SYST:LAUN:TYPE LAST" Description="Sets the launch setup type to Last." />
           <Example Name="SYST:LAUN:TYPE?" Description="Outputs the launch setup type." />
         </Examples>
       </ScpiCommand>

    XSLT can create a new related XML document in which you change the
attributes to subelements. Your ScpiCommand element would then start with

<ScpiCommand
           <ClassName>LaunchSetupType</ClassName>
           <ClassLongName>Launch Setup Type</ClassLongName>
           <ClassDescription>Sets the launch setup type. Outputs the launch setup type.</ClassDescription>

    and continue with new elements for the remaining attributes and then
the original content for the elements. This variation of the original
document would be a temporary file that is never saved. Your XML
application would specify using XSLT and when you open the provided XML
document, FrameMaker would run XSLT to create the temporary file and
then open the result to create a structured document that uses
subelements instead of attributes. Doing so would allow you to use
different paragraph formats for different original attribute values.

Your EDD would reflect the modified structure (with subelements instead
of attributes).

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price