[Framers] DTDs and EDDs (was Re: Another Simple Structured App)

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Wed Apr 6 19:55:36 PDT 2022

C2,

    XML documents do not require DTDs unless attributes have default
values or the documents use entities. (Note: FrameMaker uses entities to
represent a book in XML.) FrameMaker can create an EDD from a DTD or a
DTD from an EDD. The former is useful if your starting point is XML that
uses a DTD; the latter is useful if you have an EDD and want to create a
DTD.

   A structured application specifies the pieces you need to work with
XML (or SGML). Such pieces can include an EDD, a template, XSLT
transforms, and read/write rules. You may be able to create a DTD before
you define a structured application, selecting <No Application> in the
pop-up menu in the Use Structured Application dialog box that the
Structure > DTD > Save as DTD command brings up.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.