[Framers] FM2019 and gremlins

Simon Buch simon.buch at m-ais.com
Wed Feb 23 05:29:08 PST 2022

Hello,

In all the years I have been using FrameMaker, I have only ever
experienced files that couldn't be opened in the following cases:

1 - files saved on USB drives, and Windows deciding to save energy
putting computer to sleep
2 - files saved on network locations
3 - files located on a failing drive

#1 was very irritating.  A combination of Windows 10 and HP hardware
actually corrupted not just FrameMaker documents, but also other files -
with no identifiable pattern to it.   As a result, I avoid using USB
drives for everyday working.

#2 has been frustrating.  If the network drive, or the network
connection speed is slow, I've experienced FrameMaker crashing when
attempting to update books, or worse, when attempting to access
referenced PDF files.

#3 was experienced by our FM trainer who thought his computer had caught
a virus.  I diagnosed [using "CrystalDiskPortable"] the hard drive was
in fact failing to read and write files ... occasionally!    After using
the Linux utility ddrescue, I was able to retrieve 99.99% of his files.

If I remember correctly, FrameMaker files are always written out in
multiples of 1024 bytes [1kb].

If I'm working on a big project, I get in to the habit of using a
frequent backup strategy to store FM and other documents in a ZIP
archive file with a timestamp reference.  Just in case.

I hope this helps.
/// Simon BUCH