Runnning Windows on Mac news

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Thu Apr 13 17:18:13 PDT 2006

Hi, Pat:

 From a user's viewpoint, "Parallels" is similar to Microsoft's
"Virtual PC." Tech-heads say the the technologies are somewhat
different, but from the user side, the experience is similar:

* You pay for a copy of Windows, and install it on your Mac.

* You pay for a copy of any Windows software you need, and install it
on the Windows "side."

* You pay a penalty in speed because VPC and Parallels both have to
imitate Windows.

Each generation of faster machines makes the speed loss somewhat
less. Older Windows applications that were developed for slower
environments exhibit less slow-down, but newer resource-hungry
applications struggle.

I'm still surprised by how nimble FM under Classic on my older TiBook
*seems*, compared to InDesign CS2 under OS X Panther 10.3.9; partly
this is due to Classic taking some of my maximum load of 1GB RAM, and
my FM being set to a large memory partition under Classic, and partly
even 1GB under OS X is borderline for ID CS2, Bridge, and Version
Cue, without Classic. However, on my newer Windows laptop and WinXP,
FM 7.2 is nimble enough, and has all the updated features and bug-fix
patches that aren't available since FM 7 was discontinued on
Macintosh.

MacTel's story is only beginning, however. Who knows what might
happen next for FM users?

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices