Runnning Windows on Mac news

quills at airmail.net quills at airmail.net
Thu Apr 13 21:31:35 PDT 2006

At 3:58 PM -0700 4/13/06, Pat Christenson wrote:
>The NY Times had an article today about Parallels Workstation, a
>beta software that allows you to run OS X and Windows (any version,
>not just XP) simultaneously on an intel-powered Mac. You don't have
>to reboot when you switch. You can copy/paste between systems. You
>have to "network" them to share files. The free download is
>available at http://www.parallels.com/.
>
>This sounds like the most acceptable solution for the "I don't wanna
>buy a PC just to run FrameMaker" folks (of which I am one, although
>I already have both a Mac and a PC).
>
>Pat Christenson

Boot Camp enables you to run Windows XP natively. The beta copy
already has the native drivers. There is no speed degradation. It is
not emulation.

Parallels seems to be virtulization, but not emulation. It is a true
beta and does not yet have all the drivers needed.

The caveat is that you need an Intel Mac to run these programs.

Scott Turner