Color definition problems

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Fri Aug 18 06:05:25 PDT 2006

The simple fact is that there is no direct translation from CMYK to
RGB because these different color models are built on a totally
different basis in physics. RGB is an additive color model because
you're dealing with points of light (glowing phosphor dots on a CRT
or back-lit crystals on an LCD). CMYK is a subtractive color model
for ink-on-paper reproduction. The color you see is a result of all
the wavelengths that are not absorbed by the ink, which is why
it's called subtractive; the ink subtracts out all undesired wavelengths
from the (presumably) while light that illuminates the page.

The problem is that RGB can only simulate CMYK because the
models are so fundamentally different, and there are dozens (if
not hundreds) of different mathematical algorithms for how to
translate values in one model to the other.

The one thing you know when you work with CMYK color
definitions is that if you make color separations and furnish the
films (or files) to a print vendor, you'll get the same results
regardless of what tool you used to generate the separations.
But it's virtually guaranteed that the printed results will match
*neither* tool's on-screen simulation of the color. Probably not
even close.

If you're trying to design a CMYK color that has a particular
appearance, the only right way to do it is to work from printed
samples and then simply live with whatever screen representation
you get in a particular tool. Or if the color is only being used
as a spot color you can use the Pantone color matching
system (or an equivalent) where you pick a color from a
set of swatches and refer to its reference number when you
provide your job specifications to your print vendor.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ