Preparing graphics for runaround

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 16 02:24:00 PST 2006

Dear FrameUsers... This is sort of a FrameMaker issue. For a rushed Christmas newsletter for my partner's school, I have some GIFs that contain 'traditional' seasonal designs, some of which are set in oval frames. However, the overall GIF graphics are rectangular, so when inserted in the newsletter (FrameMaker), the text runs around a rectangular frame rather than the oval graphic itself when the runaround properties are set to 'Run around contour'.

I've tried setting an oval mask in Illustrator and exporting as EPS, but FrameMaker still insists that the graphic is rectangular. I'm not sufficient of an Illustrator expert - or any sort of Illustrator expert, for that matter - to know if I'm taking the right approach.

If anyone can tell me how to make a rectangular graphic oval such that FrameMaker respects its true outline when flowing text, I'd be most grateful. I should probably be doing this job in InDesign, but it's a rush and FrameMaker is just so much less fiddly.

With thanks
--
Steve