FW: Those ol' cross-references blues

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Tue Feb 14 11:47:20 PST 2006

The unavailable fonts message is probably the cause of your
problem, as suggested earlier by another poster. The message
is preventing the file(s) that contains the "bad"cross-references
from being able to silently open the file that contains the x-ref
sources in order to refresh the x-refs themselves. Instead of
getting an opened file in response to its request, FrameMaker
gets a warning message that it doesn't know how to dismiss.
It doesn't have to be an unavailable fonts message; *any* message
(missing graphic, unresolved cross-reference, etc.) will prevent
FrameMaker from peeking inside the file to update the reference.
And when any x-ref cannot be refreshed for any reason, FrameMaker
reports it as unresolved; FrameMaker simply doesn't bother to
analyze the situation in any greater detail.

If the file(s) containing the x-ref sources are already open when
the x-refs are refreshed (during an update book operation, for
example), there is no warning message and no report of unresolved
x-refs.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ