FW: Those ol' cross-references blues

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Tue Feb 14 11:48:19 PST 2006

Hi, Pearl:

Two other things I recall, prompted by reading your post:

* In the book window, use Edit > Suppress Automatic Updating. This
permits files to open without checking for unresolved x-refs until
you make it happen manually with Edit > Update Book or by printing or
saving. It's possible that the files are slow to open, possibly
caused by the missing font messages, causing the automatic update to
trigger the unresolved x-refs message.

* There are many possible causes of unavailable font messages that
you can read about in a Google search for framemaker unavailable
fonts. One troubleshooting approach is to save the files as MIF, and
search for the missing font names in the MIF file to see if the font
is specified in a table format, etc. You can open MIF files in a text
editor, or by holding Shift+Ctrl while clicking Open on a selected
file name in the File > Open dialog box, then choosing Each Line is a
Paragraph. If you change the font name in MIF, you need to save the
file as text only, with MIF extension, for FM to open it correctly as
an FM file. Simply finding a reference to the font may suggest where
you need to fix it in the FM interface. The Google search result will
offer lots of troubleshooting tips and solutions.

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices