Dictionary Headers Issue in Index

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 10:52:56 PST 2006

I imagine that when you set up the headers, you set up all your master
pages, or at least the left AND right, to use the dictionary headers.
I think if you read the fine print on this setup, you'll see that the
variables in the headers map to the last entry on the page. But if
there is no entry, as in your case, the variable isn't reset and so
displays the contents with which it was last loaded (the header on the

So the short answer is that everything is working. It just isn't
working the way you want it to. ;- )  Either live with it (my choice),
add enough idex markers to spill to a second page (I hope that's a
REALLY short book), or twiddle your master pages to have an empty left
page header, either by creating a new left master page or deleting the
variable from the one you use. In all honesty, for a one-page index,
dictionary headers are kinda cute but useless.

Cheers,
Art