I want a numbered list with alphabetized substeps

Karen L. Zorn k.zorn at zorntech.com
Mon Jul 3 17:29:04 PDT 2006

Karyn wrote:
>Is there any way to make the two operate independently of one another
>while still allowing the layout to utilize the entire width of the page?

You need to distinguish the different numbering styles using Series Labels.
For example, a Numbered format is: S:<n+>., which results in 1., 2., and so
on. For the alphabetic list s:<a+>., a., b., c.....

Use series labeling for all numbering formats. For example, I use S and s
for numeric and alphabetic lists. T for tables, F for figures.