Extremely bizarre error in FrameMaker 6

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 10:29:17 PST 2006

Unstructured, Mac.

While editing a figure caption that consists of an in-line paragraph with the number, and a follow-on paragraph with the caption (for historical reasons), I got an error log with the following message when I try to type or edit the caption. Does anyone have a clue what it might mean or imply?

'Layout/Pack loop exceeded 100 iterations'

and the edit is refused.

The only change here is that I've recently gone from Mac OS X 10.3.9 to OS X 10.4.5. I sincerely hope that that's not relevant: booting back into 10.3.9 shows the same behavior.
--
Steve