Local TOCs in structured documents

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Mar 6 09:11:58 PST 2006

Good morning,

   Since there's an ongoing thread on chapter TOCs, I thought I'd share an
idea I had recently. In a book with numerous chapters, it is a pain to
remember to generate the local TOC for each chapter. A minor tweak to the
EDD, and a slightly strained structure, allows me to build them in a single
book.

   In particular, I've defined a choice attribute on the chapter element
that serves as a code name, with arbitrary values (say, flower names),
making sure that I've defined more values than there will ever be chapters
in an actual book. The EDD then assigns context labels for each element
that I want in the chapter TOC based on the possible values of this
attribute. For example, Section, Subsection, and Subsubsection might each
have context labels Daisy, Tulip, Rose, and so forth. If I use a generic
Section element that can be nested within itself, I might give it context
labels like Daisy1, Tulip1, Rose1 for the first level, Daisy2, Tulip2,
Rose2 for the second level, etc.

   If I assign the code name Daisy to a particular chapter, I set up its
TOC to include only Section(Daisy), Subsection(Daisy), and so on. I've used
code names instead of numbers because I don't want to associate the
selection with the order of chapters in the book. With the code names, I
can reorder the chapters in the book, or add new ones in the middle without
the identification becoming confusing. I could have used a unique ID
instead of a choice attribute, but I wanted the EDD to list the values used
by the context rules that assign the context labels.
Not very efficient--FM scans every file in the book to build the TOC for
each chapter, but it works.

   In practice, I actually assigned all the context labels to the Title
element rather than the Section element. My Title element doesn't have an
ID attribute, but the Section element does. Thus, I can use the context
labels on the Title element to set up the chapter TOCs without having them
clutter up the cross-reference dialog box. I use context labels on Section
for cross-referencing.

         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284