table sort order

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Mar 7 12:52:00 PST 2006

Carol,

You wrote:

>Framers, in the past when I sorted table rows containing numerical data, I
>could put up with Frame sorting on specific digits rather than the entire
>number string. For example, in an ascending sort, Frame does this:
>509
>5104
>5105
>5115
>512
>5120
>
>However, I'm now working with a 41-page table containing hundreds of these
>document numbers. I need them to sort correctly without post-production
>fixing because I'll be resorting on a regular basis.
>
>Does anyone know of a fix for this?
>Rick, is there a script that would work?
>Is there a 3rd party add-on available?

To fix this manually, you may insert an invisible/non-printing leading
zeroe/s as necessary in front of the shorter numeric strings.
To make insertion easier, create a "NoPrint" character format (where the
color is set to an invisible one), then create a variable named "0", which
has: <NoPrint>0

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars