Updating Text Insets [WAS: (no subject)]

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Mon May 15 11:10:05 PDT 2006

Hi, Deborah:

>I did create a book file and import all the text insets in to change the
>paragraph style.
>
>The problem I am having is the main book files that contain the text insets
>is not auto updating the text insets. So when I open a file that contains a
>text inset it is still showing the old fonts size until I double click on
>it and tell the text inset to update. I have 9 manuals that use these text
>insets so I have many files to open, search for each text inset and then
>double click on the text inset to update.

"Automatic Update" of text insets and some other FrameMaker features
means only when opening a file that contains the insets,
X-references, etc. If you open an FrameMaker book file, the chapter
files are not opened unless you perform some operation that opens
them.

Have you tried checking the following:

* Open a book file, then use Shift+File > Open All Files in Book.
Then Edit > Update Book

*If that doesn't update the files, then from the book window, check
Edit > Suppress Automatic Reference Updating...

* If this isn't turned on, it's possible that it is turned on in
individual chapter files. Check each file with Edit > Update
References, to verify that the insets are marked for updating, and
also in this window, check Commands > Suppress Automatic Updating to
verify that it's off.

Sometimes authors learn to turn off automatic updating of X-refs and
text insets, because it slows down the opening of files during
content development, and, if multiple authors are working on chapters
of one book, the automatic process sometimes encounters conflicts
when a file is open by another author. If a content check-in/out
system is in place, it gets even more complicated and time consuming.

HTH