Need Help Mac to PC

Laura_J_Kirk at bd.com Laura_J_Kirk at bd.com
Mon May 22 08:46:44 PDT 2006

Mary, I am using XP Pro and Frame 7 with virtually no problems.

I recommend you upgrade your Acrobat to vers. 7 Pro. My life has improved
since I upgraded from vers. 5 to vers. 7, mostly because more and more
people are using 7 and not saving "down" their versions.

You can use PC Postscript fonts, in fact things will go more smoothly for
you if you have the same font families in the PC that you had on the Mac.
Personally I use True Type exclusively, but this is because of a weird bug
in Pagemaker that would not properly create PDFs for postscript fonts in
linked graphics. Old habits die hard. Check adobe.com for info. on how to
obtain the PC postscript fonts you need. They may even come with
applications like Illustrator, if you use that too.

Good luck. The waters are troubled the first few weeks after moving to a
PC, but using a PC isn't the hell some would have you believe.

ljk
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

framers-bounces+laura_j_kirk=bd.com at lists.frameusers.com wrote on
05/19/2006 12:11:11 PM:

> Hello Framers,
> I will soon be converting my Mac Frame 7 documents to Frame 7 on the
> PC. My Mac is getting old and the organization wants the jobs on PC.
> My documents are both published (web-press) from high resolution PDFs
> and posted on the web as Web-ready PDFs. With no other help available
> to me, I am seeking advice from the Frameuser group.
>
> Big issues:
>
> Operating system:  Looks like I might be getting Genuine Windows XP
> Professional, SP2, with Media XPP2E. Will this system work with Frame
> 7.0 (already purchased)? Any known problems?
>
> Fonts: On the Mac I use only Adobe Postscript fonts (most often
> Helvetica family) and have never had any problems.  What kind of
> fonts should I buy for the PC that will always be reliable and
> problem-free for printing and web? Font technology has changed since
> my Mac fonts were purchased and my knowledge is not up-to-date.
>
> Acrobat issues:  I currently use Acrobat 5 on the Mac. Are there
> issues with newer Acrobat versions, and which version will work with
> Frame 7.0 on PC?
>
> Plug-ins:  I don't have any plugs-ins or other helpful software and
> would like information about the most useful.
>
> I would like to make this transfer as smooth as possible and would
> greatly appreciate any help that you would like to share - even
> horror stories. Not wishing to clog up the Frame list, you may
> respond to my e-mail address on these issues.  Please use the subject
> line Need Help Mac to PC. Thanks for helping.
>
> Mary Haas
> --
>

> ***************************
> Mary Haas
> Graphic Designer
> San Diego State University
> Academic  Services
> Academic Affairs
> 5500 Campanile Drive
> San Diego, CA 92182
>
> Mary Haas <michael at mail.sdsu.edu>

> com/mailman/options/framers/laura_j_kirk%40bd.com
>
> Send administrative questions to lisa at frameusers.com. Visit

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR RECIPIENTS IN THE U.S.A: This message may
constitute an advertisement of BD group's products or services or a
solicitation of interest in them.  If this is such a message and
you would like to opt out of receiving future advertisements or
solicitations from this BD group, please forward this e-mail to the
optoutbygroup at bd.com.
This message (which includes any attachments) is intended only for
the designated recipient(s).  It may contain confidential or
proprietary information and may be subject to attorney-client
privilege or other confidentiality protections.  If you are not a
designated recipient, you may not review, use, copy or distribute
this message.  If you received this in error, please notify the
sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank You