Hypertext Link Strangeness

Daniel Emory danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 23 11:16:33 PDT 2006

<Donald.M.Rinderknecht at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I've got one for you.... I am making hypertext links
> active in the PDF
> output by using a "message URL" hypertext marker. I
> use a character tag
> to identify the text to include in the link. This
> has worked fine for me
> in the past in unstructured docs.
>
> I have recently noticed that in my structured doc
> the link is not
> working the way I expect. In some cases I get only a
> part of the address
> in the link or no active link at all.
My experience with converting structured docs with
hyperlinks to PDF is that the links don't work if you
insert the gotolink (or message URL marker) at the
before the first text character in a text line.
Instead, insert the marker at the end of the
highlighted text (i.e., just before the end bracket ])
delineating the end of the character tag.

The same goes for newlink markers. Namely, never
insert a newlink marker before the first text
character in text line.

I use EDD-defined structure rules to define the link
components, as follows:
GoToExt (a link to another FM document or URL)
The structure rule for this element consists of the
names of one or more marker-type elements:

(FmGotlink | MailLink | whatever else is needed)
Each element specified in the structure rule is
defined as being a marker of a particular type.

Element GotoExt is defined as a text-range element and
the format rule specifies colored text.

======================================
GoToint (a link to a newlink marker within the same
document). The structure rule for this element is:

(FmGotolink | whatever else is needed)
Each element specified in the structure rule is
defined as being a marker of a particular type.
Element NewLink (an element of type newlink marker,
which specifies the unique name of a hypertext node
within a FrameMaker document.

Obviously, no colored text is required in this case.

Dan Emory & Associates
<danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net>