bookmarks

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Nov 28 13:18:52 PST 2006

Martinek, Carla wrote:
> Here's a question:  can I change what text shows in the bookmarks when
> the PDF generates?
>
> In our programming code documentation, they want the code on the first
> line, and the explanation/title on the second line.
>
> ^CM
>   Change Memory Letter Designation
>
>     Description...
>     Format...
>
> It's no problem in the TOC (we use a run-in heading to get the two on
> the same line), but in the bookmarks on the PDF, we get this:
>
> ^CM
>   Change Memory Letter Designation
> ^CO
>    Cache On
> ^CT ~CT
>    Change Tilde
>
> When what we WANT is this:
> ^CM Change Memory Letter Designation
> ^CO Cache On
> ^CT ~CT Change Tilde
>
> We *could* merge the two headings into one and use a soft return at the
> end of the first line, but that then requires searching and removing the
> soft returns in the generated TOC when we're done. I'd rather do
> something once now and not have to do a "fix" every time we generate the
> book (which gets updated frequently).
>
> Any suggestions?

I haven't tried this, but perhaps you could modify your soft-return idea
and use a tab instead. Use a single pgf tag in the body for both the
code and the explanation/title, with a left tab set just inside the
right margin and an indent for all but the first line. Type a tab
character instead of a soft returen after each code mnemonic. Format the
corresponding TOC pgf tag with a left tab a few spaces in from the left
margin.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5