bookmarks

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Nov 29 03:06:51 PST 2006

Carla,

You wrote:

>... It's no problem in the TOC (we use a run-in heading to get the two on
>the same line), but in the bookmarks on the PDF, we get this:
>
>^CM
>   Change Memory Letter Designation
>^CO
>    Cache On
>^CT ~CT
>    Change Tilde
>
>When what we WANT is this:
>^CM Change Memory Letter Designation
>^CO Cache On
>^CT ~CT Change Tilde
>
>We *could* merge the two headings into one and use a soft return at the
>end of the first line, but that then requires searching and removing the
>soft returns in the generated TOC when we're done. I'd rather do
>something once now and not have to do a "fix" every time we generate the
>book (which gets updated frequently).
>
>Any suggestions?

I don't know of a way to do this automatically other than with the Bookmark
Functions in FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers (executed automatically as
part of the distilling process).

You can merge bookmarks combinations where a bookmark is under a certain
number of characters and the following bookmark is over a certain number of
characters, with additional controls.
[more info at http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html#4, also see dialog
box at http://www.microtype.com/TimeSavers.html ]

This function was originally introduced to handle the more common case of
separate bookmarks generated for the chapter number and the chapter title.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat