Adapting EDD for WebWorks ePublisher Pro 9.1

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Oct 24 18:17:47 PDT 2006

Daniel,
   Interesting idea. As you point out, though, you've lost the ability to
increment formatting properties. Applying a paragraph format sets all
paragraph properties, undoing anything you have inherited.
   Once you've gone to all the work of defining a paragraph format for each
style you want, why not give up on the inherited formatting and just define
the desired properties in the paragraph catalog?
   Alternatively, instead of two rules in each definition in your EDD, you
could have two EDDs--one that uses hierarchical styles, one that uses the
format catalogs. In fact, you can have the effect of two EDDs using
conditional text in one file. Then, you'd hide the WebWorks version of the
formatting rules when you are formatting your document. When you're ready
to use WebWorks, you'd import element definitions from the variant EDD first.
         --Lynne

At 02:09 AM 3/10/2006, Daniel Osborn wrote:
>Hi Framers,
>
>I'd like to ask your opinion on a workaround I've just found for using
>structured Frame with WebWorks ePublisher Pro 9.1
>
>At the moment, I have a problem with WebWorks ePublisher Pro as it
>doesn't support basing styles on elements.
>
>All my formatting is defined in the edd using the format change list. If
>I were using paragraph formatting in the edd, I could create empty
>paragraph formats in my FM docs by saying "Automatically create formats
>on import" at the top of the edd, then use these formats in WebWorks.
>
>I've been playing a bit and discovered that it seems like I can create
>the paragraph formats and continue to use the format change list.
>
>I declare each context rule twice (by copying the context rule I was
>using). In the first instance, I change "Use format change list" to "Use
>paragraph format". When I import the edd into my documents all the
>paragraph formats are created and the formatting is correct (based on
>the format change list).
>
>My question is, is this a sensible workaround? I'm not experienced
>enough with structured Frame or edds to know if this will have any
>unwanted consequences anywhere or to know what is really happening.
>There are some things that now don't work, for example, you can't adjust
>font sizes or indents using "Font size change" or "Move indent".
>
>I haven't changed everything yet as I would have to make quite a few
>changes to the edd (especially concerning lists) and before I do that,
>I'd like to hear any opinions on this.
>
>Many thanks for your help,
>Daniel
>

>This e-mail message contains information which is confidential and may be
>privileged. It is intended for use by the addressee only. If you are not
>the intended addressee, we request that you notify the sender immediately
>and delete or destroy this e-mail message and any attachment(s), without
>copying, saving, forwarding, disclosing or using its contents in any other
>way. TomTom N.V., TomTom International BV or any other company belonging
>to the TomTom group of companies will not be liable for damage relating to
>the communication by e-mail of data, documents or any other information.
>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/lprice%40txstruct.com
>
>Send administrative questions to lisa at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284