Error message: Resulting columns would be too short

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 01:41:32 PDT 2007

At 09:36 +0200 13/4/07, Reng, Winfried Dr. wrote:

>I want to change the height of a text frame in an anchored frame. When I try to change it from 0.661 cm to 0.265 cm with the Object properties window, I get an error message: Resulting columns would be too short.
>
>The error message starts with a value of 0.317 cm. The font size of the paragraph in this text frame has 8 pt. To display all characters a minimum height of 0.24 cm seems to be sufficient.
>
>When I change the height of the text frame with the mouse, everything is fine. When I then want to change the height with the Object properties window from e.g. 0.256 cm to 0.265 cm, I get again this error message although the value seems to be valid. Otherwise I couldn't have set the height with the mouse.

You are absolutely right. FrameMaker appears to be checking that there is sufficient space for text, but only via the Object Properties dialog. I have carries out a few tests: I thought originally that it was intelligent enough to match to the font size of the text contained in the frame, but in fact there appears to ba hard limit at 9 points irrespective of the contents: set the height to 9 points, no error, set it to 8.9999 points, you get the error.

Duh?
--
Steve