How to delete trailing spaces in one go?

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:59:11 PDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Combs, Richard <richard.combs at polycom.com> wrote:
> Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote:
>
> > I thought I had seen in this list a discussion on how to
> > remove trailing spaces that so often come with Word documents
> > that are either imported into FrameMaker or opened by
> > FrameMaker (by conversion). I have a plethora of these and
> > the closest I have got is to:
> > Find: Text: ". \p"
> > Replace: Text: ".\p"
> > but this results in the new \p taking on the paragraph
> > attributes of the next line, removing extra vertical space or
> > changing to superscript if next line starts on a superscript.
>
> I vaguely remember that discussion, but can't find it. I recall being
> tempted to object to the idea then, so I think I'll do so now.
>
> I'm in the habit of always typing a space at the end of a paragraph, and
> I can't imagine why one would need to remove them. In fact, there are at
> least two situations in FM where you really should have a space before
> the end of the paragraph:
>
> -- When text adjacent to the pilcrow (end of paragraph symbol) has a
> character format applied to it, the format change affects the paragraph
> itself, marking it as an override. A space between the text and the
> pilcrow avoids this override (as long as the char format isn't applied
> to the space, of course).
>
> -- When a text inset sits adjacent to the pilcrow, an update of the text
> inset causes the paragraph in which it sits to take on the format of the
> first paragraph in the text inset. A space (or anything else) between
> the text inset and the pilcrow avoids this problem.

Both arguments above are valid seen from the point of FM behaviour.

> Besides that, if you get in the habit of always ending a sentence with a
> space, then merging two paragraphs doesn't cause two sentences to
> collide.

OK, this one too.

> What am I missing? Why do people not want those spaces?

When you get a space at the end of a line the line will tend to give
the trailing space an unnecessary space. This I have often seen on the
screen, but I have not exactly done a test on it in printing, but many
experienced people on the list and others warn against using the
trailing space.

> Nowadays, bytes are pretty cheap, and your thumbs can use the exercise.
> :-)
>
> Richard

Lol!

Bodvar