Frame's future

Bill Briggs web at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Feb 20 16:13:40 PST 2007

At 6:29 PM -0500 2/20/07, Keith Soltys wrote:
>hedley.finger at myob.com wrote:
>>Another thing Adobe could do is look at all the plug-ins and mods that various people have come up with to scratch an itch -- or stem a raging haemorrhage.  For example, there are a whole bunch of indexing tools -- IXgen, emDex, Index Tools Pro, IndexRef, etc. -- suggesting that there is a crying need for a decent indexing interface on  a par with Cindex or Sky Index.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Hedley
>>
>>--
>
>One of my suggestions in a blog post a while back is that they do something similar with FrameScript to what they did with WWP Standard. Include a run-time version of Framescript that would let people run scripts but not edit or write them.
>
>It'd give the Framescript developers a bigger market to shoot at and add a lot of value to Frame.

 And if they brought back the Mac version you could do the same things with AppleScript, and even integrate FrameMaker into an automated workflow. It's a pity that the FrameMaker user community (on the Mac) didn't get into the AppleScript swing of things. I only know a hand full of Mac framers who use AppleScript, but those who do have speeded productivity in dozens of ways. Some of us here on this list have used AppleScript and FrameMaker to do some amazing time saving tasks. Even with the few annoying bugs in FrameMaker's AppleScript it was possible to do stuff that was, in a word, stunning. Watching 6 hours of manual effort for a VERY experienced FrameMaker user who knows the shortcuts reduced to a double click is a powerful motivator. In 15 minutes the script would finish. And it didn't make errors. The one major drag on this is that FrameMaker 7 has a nasty habit of throwing errors at random times when there are none. Requires a restart of FrameMaker. So that bug will never get fixed. Sigh.

 - web