Wild stab in the dark: LaTeX to MIF

Peter Ring pri at ddf.dk
Sun Feb 25 14:42:43 PST 2007

I gather you do not run a Unix box, but both Mac OSX and Windows come
close enough. I can't help with Mac OSX, but I'm willing to try
compiling those utilities for Cygwin (a *nix environment on top of
Windows) -- if you tell a bit more about what you intend to use it for.

Up-conversion of legacy documentation? One-time or continuously? Why
involve FrameMaker at all? Would it be easier if you reversed the
process, or introduced another exchange/storage format?

For some specialized purposes, going for an XML exchange/storage format
might be more attractive. E.g. for reference documentation traditionally
produced from nroff/troff/groff with the 'man' macro package, DocBook
XML might be a good exchange format.
   man pages can readily be produced from DocBook XML 'refentry', there
is a number of utilities that extract embedded source code documentation
and emit DocBook refentry, and DocBook XML can be typeset in a number of
ways -- including FrameMaker.

LaTeX is based on TeX, which can be considered a programming language
(it is Turing-complete). This implies that you actually need TeX to
'translate' arbitrary LaTeX documents into something else. In principle,
the best way to translate LaTeX to FrameMaker would be a TeX compiler
that produces MIF output rather than DVI. MicroPress' TeXpider [1] works
this way to produce HTML from pretty much arbitrary TeX.
   But most converters assume that your LaTeX documents is plain and
simple, i.e. can be interpreted by a mock interpreter. A number of
TeX-to-something converters are listed here [2][3].

kind regards
Peter Ring

[1] http://www.micropress-inc.com/webb/wbstart.htm
[2] http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=fmtconv