Reply vs. Reply All (Was TOUGH ONE)

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Jan 29 09:54:13 PST 2007

Mike Wickham wrote:

> Like Michael, I often send replies to the original poster only, and not
> to the forum. It's not intentional. It's just that, of all the fora I
> visit on the Web, this is the only one that is not set by default to
> reply to the group. I never have to use the Reply All button anywhere
> else, so I almost always forget and hit the Reply button out of habit.

I've been caught by that, too, but (sometimes embarrassingly) I've been
caught by other aspects of e-mail addressing. Specifically, it's
possible for a message to have a Reply-To address that is different from
the sender's address. It's possible for a message to have a long list of
recipients that is truncated by the display settings of the mail client
you're using. If you're not careful, you can end up "replying" to a lot
of people who never wrote to you.

I have developed the habit of ALWAYS checking who is going to get a
message before I even start composing it.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5