Special > Marker dialog box has disappeared

Whites whitefamily at mac.com
Tue Jul 31 21:09:23 PDT 2007

Hi Dennis -
I've followed this with interest because I am plagued with the same
issue (and so are others I work with). It's not a problem with FM,
it's a bug/flaw in the Windows desktop - at least in XP.
Let's assume you work with the Windows toolbar (or tray, or whatever
you call it) at the bottom of the screen and you have it set to
"Always in front".
If you grab a window/dialog/whatever by the strip above the title bar
and drag it to the very bottom of the screen, you still have control
of it even when the top of the window is behind the toolbar. When you
drop it, the window/dialog/whatever is hidden behind the toolbar and
is irretrievable except by the alt + space, m trick. This is a bug in
the Windows desktop design.  Rather than fix it by not allowing you
to drag the top of a window completely behind the toolbar, MS offers
a couple of options - (1) Autohide tool bar - (extremely annoying,
IMHO), (2) keep toolbar in back (better, but then you hide the
toolbar with your document rather than the other way around), (3)
move the toolbar to one of the sides (not so good since I usually
want to preserve as much screen width as possible, or (4) put toolbar
at top (I've just recently started doing this). In the last case, you
can still move the very top of your document/window/dialog/whatever
behind the toolbar, but it's obviously not hidden when you drop it -
just not grabbable. Time for alt + space, m.

If you have every used a Mac with OS-X, you'll note that the toolbar
has a transparency setting, so you can tell if anything is lurking
behind the toolbar. Moveover, MacOS will _not_ allow you to drag and
drop the top of your document behind the toolbar. As soon as you drop
it, the OS-X repositions the top of the doc just above the toolbar.
Problem solved.  Now if we could just get Adobe to support FM on OS-X.

Don't know how this problem is dealt with on Vista - I'll check it
out in about 5 years.

Will White
(writing from home on a Mac)

There is something fascinating about science.
One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture
out of such a trifling investment of fact. - Twain