Frame output scales incorrectly - corrupt joboptions file?

Karen Mardahl k.mardahl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 05:49:37 PDT 2007

I got sidetracked with this issue. My original problem was:

> > I have an annoyance, not really a problem, with my Frame
> > 7.1p116 on XP and Distiller 7.0.7.
> > My PDF is distilled at 1439% or 1398% or some such random,
> > 4-digit figure. After several normal print jobs, something
> > cracks, and I get this mess. Closing down everything and
> > reopening makes the bug go away.

Dov replied:

On 3/8/07, Dov Isaacs <isaacs at adobe.com> wrote:
> There is nothing in the joboptions file that provides
> any option for scaling of page sizes. Distiller opens
> the .joboptions files read-only. Furthermore, if those
> files were "corrupted," "closing down everything and
> reopening" would not make the problem go away.
>
> Exactly how are you producing the PDF file?
> Save as PDF? Printing directly to the Adobe PDF PostScript
> printer driver instance? Somehow (how? driver? options? etc.?)
> producing a PostScript file and manually force feeding it
> to the Distiller (yum, yum)?

I always choose print in FM to produce a .ps file, and then in
Distiller, I open that file to make a PDF.
It's in the Print dialog in FM that I make sure I choose the right
joboptions for generating a PDF. That is also where I check scaling is
set to 100%. That is the scale setting I always want, and I never
touch that field, but I have considered whether I have typed too
quickly and put focus in that field and somehow changed it - you know,
just a fumble-fingered accident, but that just doesn't seem to be the
case.

Dov asked me: "OK, how do you produce that PostScript file. Do you
print to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance but check
the "to file" option or do you print to another PostScript printer
driver instance? Details please!"

Here is my follow-up to that.

On the Print dialog in Frame
+ checked odd/even numbered pages and collate - nothing else
+ registration marks none
+ Thumbnails not checked
+ Copies 1
+ Scale 100%
+ Print to File is checked (no To File to check - wasn't that 6.0?)
and you see the name and location of the output, which is a .ps file
+ Print separations is greyed out
+ Generate Acrobat Data is checked. Clicking on PDF Setup button shows
the correct joboptions button is selected with default zoom and View
Generated PDF in Acrobat is checked.
+ Printer identified as Adobe PDF (set up as my computer's default
printer). Its setup is again to the correct joboptions, with checks by
View Adobe PDF Results and Add Document Information (as well as delete
log files for successful job).

Perhaps I should add this is unstructured? I feel I have only one
option for making .ps output, but Dov's last question indicates the
possibility of two, which I don't have. I hope
I haven't misunderstood anything.

If this sheds more light for anyone, I'd appreciate hearing your
suggestions for a fix. As mentioned previously, I have a work-around.
I'd like to fix the problem. Thanks.

regards, Karen Mardahl