Frame output scales incorrectly - corrupt joboptions file?

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Mar 19 07:12:19 PDT 2007

Karen,

You wrote:

>I have an annoyance, not really a problem, with my Frame 7.1p116 on XP
>and Distiller 7.0.7.
>
>My PDF is distilled at 1439% or 1398% or some such random, 4-digit
>figure. After several normal print jobs, something cracks, and I get
>this mess. Closing down everything and reopening makes the bug go
>away.
>
>I am alert to the problem so I view the Print dialog carefully - I
>swear! It always says 100% in the scale box. That is why I suspect
>Distiller. I feel that I have to assume FM generates a .ps file that
>is going to produce output scaled to 100%, and that Distiller chews it
>up somehow.
>
>Or...?
>
>Ideas as to the whereabouts of this annoyance? I can go for months
>without a sign, but now I had the problem twice in one day. My Acrobat
>is 7.0.9, but that cannot possibly be the culprit, can it?

Occasionally, standard FM documents end up as PDFs with very small page
sizes -- such as 8.5x11" FM pages turning into 0.5x0.67" pages in the PDF,
with text/graphics scaled down accordingly. You then have to display the
PDF at very large magnifications to be able to see the content; if Fit
Page/Width is the default zoom, magnification will be applied
automatically, showing zoom levels such as the ones you mentioned.

This was also reported by other list members, and I experience it myself
once every few months. Just recreate the .ps file and re-distill, restart
FrameMaker if needed. Nothing to change or fix in the FrameMaker document
or in the job options.

[ Could this actually be a hidden feature -- randomly reminding us that
PDFs have to be inspected/tested, or at least opened briefly, before
distributed ? ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
FM-to-PDF Assistants: Navigation, Form, Presentation, Multimedia & 3D