Framescript capabalities

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Mar 22 20:57:28 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:52:33 -0400, "Frank Elmore" <elmsoft at comcast.net>
wrote:

>Yes, you can do this with FrameScript. You would need to come up with a
>naming scheme for the new files you would create. With FrameScript, you can
>scan through all the documents in a book for tables and figures. When you
>find one, you create a new document, copy the table/figure to the new
>document, save the document, then insert a hypertext marker in place of the
>table/figure, using the name of the file.

That would work, but then what you'd have would be a whole
bunch of little Frame files.  For tables, there's no other
option, since they are not referencable the way graphics
are.  You could, however, re-import the table files as
insets instead of hyperlinking to them; I'm sure FrameScript
can do that too, since the FDK can.

For the figures, though, I wonder if the OP actually wants
to have them referenced within their anchored frames, rather
than copied into them.  If so, that can't be done with the
FDK; if you use Frame's native graphic export filters, you
get a very poor rendition of the original, at screen (96dpi)
resolution, which will not print well.

However, Mif2Go can export the graphics as the original
graphic files that were imported, except that the original
name is lost (Frame doesn't keep it).  These are at the
full resolution of the originals, and can then be imported
over the originals (replacing them in their frames) by
reference.

You don't have to buy Mif2Go to do this, the demo version
does the job nicely:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm
In the User's Guide, refer to par. 26.2.3.2, "Exporting
embedded graphics before converting" and the two following
paragraphs for the details.

The graphics come out with names like "yourfile001.gif",
and the sequence is *not* that of the images in Frame;
it's probably the order in which they were originally
imported.  So you'll want to "preview" them before you
import them back in.  A handy way to do this is... with
Word.  <vbg>  Once you're sure you have the right one
for the anchored frame before you, select the image
(not the frame!) in Frame, and use File | Import to
replace it.  That way you don't have to resize, and
any Frame additions (like callouts) remain in place.

HTH!