Frame 7.2 crashes with Acrobat 8 Pro

Rush, Jay jrush at c-cor.com
Thu May 3 10:28:52 PDT 2007

XP Pro SP2, Frame 7.2p158, Unstructured

I upgraded to Acrobat 8 Pro (bundled with CS3 Design Premium Upgrade).
It uninstalled Acrobat 7 Pro as part of the install. I placed my custom
joboptions files (created in Distiller 7) in C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings and
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Settings. The install did not
blow off my FILE: port, although my Adobe PDF printer instance is using
the My Documents\*.pdf port, which I assume is correct per the install.

I'm getting frequent, random Frame crashes. The messages I get are:

Internal Error 7204, 610980, 7778516, 0. FrameMaker has detected a
serious problem and must quit, etc. Followed by: Adobe FrameMaker:
FrameMaker.exe - Application Error The instruction at "0x0039199f"
referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.

I crash sometimes when printing to Adobe PDF, sometimes not. Sometimes
it works with an individual Frame file, but then a book file crashes. I
also use the Publi PDF utility (www.grafikhuset.net/international) to
set up a variety of print queues to create customized PDFs, particularly
color-corrected print-ready PDFs. Sometimes a Publi PDF queue (which
uses Distiller 8) works; sometimes not.

I've also made what I think are all of the Adobe PDF printer preference
settings per Dov Isaacs' instructions for previous Acrobat versions.
Overall, I had no problems with Distiller 7, but now Frame crashes more
often than not. At least one other person in my department is having the
same problem.

Ideas?

Jay Rush