Missing Characters in PDF

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Wed May 16 17:30:11 PDT 2007

Yes, this is indeed a known issue, although at this point
we don't know exactly what the cause of the problem is.

We do know that (1) it is not necessarily repeatable between
two identically-configured systems or even on the same system
and (2) there is a hack to at least temporarily "fix" the
problem.

This fix is as follows:

(a)	Exit all applications

(b)	Delete file <C:\WINDOWS\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT>

(c)	Reboot

Upon rebooting, the system font cache is rebuilt as needed by
Windows. And according to those who have tried this "fix," the
problem is gone, at least for a while.

Since there is nothing that FrameMaker as a program can do to
corrupt that system file or even open it, the problems are
probably secondary to some issue associated with FrameMaker's
novel use of its own character set in combination with standard
Windows GDI calls.

If you really want to be defensive, one thing you could do would
be to write a script that deletes that font cache file every time
you power down your system.

Let us know if this solves the issue for you.

	- Dov