FM crashes on print book to file (surprise! No?)

Rush, Jay jrush at c-cor.com
Thu May 31 11:47:37 PDT 2007

I posted a similar message to the framers, Acrobat, and InDesign lists.
I had Frame 7.2 p158 and Acrobat 7.0.8 (not 7.0.9) installed for quite
some time with no problems. I then upgraded my CS2 with CS3 upgrade,
which came with Acrobat 8. I then got frequent, random Frame crashes
when PDFing as you describe. I went through similar troubleshooting
steps to no avail. I also use Publi PDF
(http://www.grafikhuset.net/international/) to create custom PDFs from
Frame. I got crashes from Frame when printing both to the Adobe PDF
printer instance and to a Publi PDF print queue.

Publi PDF's tech support suspected "either a Windows GDI font problem or
a FrameMaker 'PostScript injection' problem (i.e. when Frame injects
private PostScript data into the data stream generated via Windows
GDI)". In reply to the "character dropout" issue with Frame, Dov Isaacs
replied to the list that the fix is to delete the
C:\WINDOWS\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT file and reboot, and ideally write a
script that deletes that file every time you power down. Dov further
stated that, "Since there is nothing that FrameMaker as a program can do
to corrupt that system file or even open it, the problems are probably
secondary to some issue associated with FrameMaker's novel use of its
own character set in combination with standard Windows GDI calls."

I put those two issues together, did what they said, and also tweaked
Adobe PDF Printer Properties based on recommendations for older versions
of Distiller. And, if you're on Acrobat 8, see Adobe Tech Note 333453
regarding where to place custom joboptions settings.

Now, after all that, for some reason, I still get a Frame crash at the
book level IF it's the first PDF I try to create after bootup. If,
however, I PDF a single Frame file first (so far, always with success),
then PDF the whole book, it works for me.

That's my workaround. Hope it helps.

Jay