Bad Autonumbers

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 06:54:40 PDT 2007

randall.reed at forceprotection.net describes the following issue:

> Unstructured Frame 7.2 on XP V2002 SP2: I've got 400 files in the book.
> I cannot get a "work package number" autonumber to work properly in the
> files at the beginning of the book. "P:000<n+>" just returns "0001".
> I've gone into the document menu on both the book and individual files
> and set the "Page" numbering feature to "Continue." Updated book
> numerous times. Re-imported formats. When I add a hard number to the
> autonumber in an individual file, it immediately responds with the
> correct value on the page, so apparently the tag and function are
> working properly.
>
> - What will fix these random "bad" autonumbers?
> > - If I "hardwire" the bad autonumber (change it from "P:000<n+>" to
> "P:0008", for example) with the following <n+> numbers pick up normally
> ("P:0009", etc., in this example)?
> > This is crazy. It is just an autonumber. I've been using FM for 13 years
> and I know it is not suppose to be this hard to troubleshoot an
> autonumber problem. Except for digesting 400 files in the book, it
> should work like a champ, but it is not. What stupid thing am I doing
>wrong?
I'm a little confused about what it is you are trying to do. You are talking
about a paragraph autonumber format, yet you are trying to control it
using the numbering properties setting for the Page numbering, which
is totally independent. The Page numbering properties settings only
affect the page number elements on the Master Pages, while paragraph
numbering formats only operate on Body Pages. Are you trying to use
paragraph numbering in a header or footer frame on a Master Page? If
so, that's your problem, because the header and footer frames are not
part of any Body Page flow.

If you need to specify a particular starting value for a paragraph
numbering series, you either do it from the Paragraph tab of the
Numbering Properties window, or else by using a hard-coded
autonumber definitions using the form "P:000<=8>" to implement
the example you mention. The next paragraph that uses the "P"
numbering series with the formula "P:000<n+>" will then increment
the number to 0009, and the next one after that will increment it
to 00010 (which may not be what you relly want, I'm guessing...).

Fred Ridder