OT: Acrobat 8 freezes Frame after motherboard rebuild

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Apr 10 07:30:19 PDT 2008

John Pitt wrote:
> After my motherboard went feral, I had to rebuild with a new
> motherboard, cpu, video card, etc. XP Pro had to be coerced into working
> again, but it was OK.
>
> But my Acrobat Pro 8 installation now refuses to make PDFs using either
> FM 8 or 7.1 with either Save As or print to PostScript. After a short
> time, Frame stops responding, the top menu bar disappears, and it has to
> be killed.
>
> I've Repaired, Uninstalled > Repaired, Deactivated and Activated, and
> muttered various incantations. Nothing seems to work.
>
> Strangely, both Word and Excel do produce PDFs.
>
> Any clues?
>
> jjj

Make sure the printer port "FILE:" still exists.  If not, add it.

Start > Settings > Printers & Faxes
Adobe PDF properties
Ports tab
Note the port currently selected.
Find FILE: in the list?
If no, Add Port, Local Port, named FILE: (with the colon).
Reselect the previously selected port.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

I'll stop saying Microsoft is arrogant when
Windows stops saying "Welcome" and instead asks "May I?"