Off topic: Handling of linked graphics in several language versions in Framemaker

mathieu jacquet bobitch at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 01:53:20 PDT 2008

Hi Verner,

I usually use the "Archive" structure, that is to say an overall directory (Product x.y. English) containing, on the same level :
. the fm files an book file ;
. a "graphic" directory containing all graphics ;
. a "text" directory containing all text insets.

I copy paste this overall directory and rename it Product x.y. French (or whatever).

(ONLY IF YOU HAVE TRADOS (or whatever CAT tool) : I set up a translation folder, which I divide into languages (French, Spanish, etc.). I then divide each of the language folder into MIF, ORG and STF folders. Then I convert all .fm files to .mif then .rtf or .ttx, and I send these files for translation (a translator does not translate straight into Frame)).

The thing is that none of my graphics contains text (I do not actually document softs, so I don't have language  specific screenshots), so links stay untouched, and the translator does not have to work on graphics.

If I had language specific graphics, with the structure previously described, I could copy them directly into the "graphics" directory without chaning their name and overwrite the ones in the wrong language.
Issue : Generic graphics are copied as many times as your number of languages...

Yours,

Mathieu