[Fwd: Re: "Adobe FrameMaker 8.0.4 failed to install"]

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Mon Jun 2 16:34:46 PDT 2008

All:

The saga continues ...

> Hedley Finger wrote:
> The Adobe Updater recognised that I didn't have the latest update.
> Captivate and RoboHelp were updated successfully but not FrameMaker.
> Why is this?  I have also set preferences so that the updater will check
> automatically but it never does.  This is a bog standard installation in
> the default directory on Windows XP, which itself has had all updates
> installed.
Fred Staal responded:
> When I tried to install the 8.04 update I got this message:
>
> "You do not have the correct version of FM install on your system. This patch installer will work only with Version 8 p276 build. Patch installer will quit now."
>
> And, of course, when I check FM Help>About, it is version 8.0p276. ... This update is incredibly INEPT for a world-class software company. It doesn't work, the error message syntax is faulty ("You do not have the correct version of FM [install] on your system.") - it has the feel of a rush job from a software trainee.

I eventually got the 8.04 update from Michael Müller-Hillebrand's site.
Quite a few tries were needed to get the installation to happen.  Let me
tell you about just two of them:

@ Double-clicking the installer briefly showed the language-choice
dialogue which vanished before I could click OK to accept the default
English choice.  A progress bar briefly showed, then vanished.  TWO
framemaker804.exe processes had started up but also a mysterious
adproxy.exe (what is this?), then the whole shebang hung for ages until
I killed off the whole thing.  But somewhere early in the piece some
flag had been set which prevented me from launching the installer again.

@  Rebooted the computer and launched the installer again.  This time no
dialogues appeared but the three (count 'em) mysterious processes all
started up and hung again.

Variations of this scenario, including many reboots, occurred many
times.  Finally, I had the cursor poised near where the elusive and
evanescent language-choice dialogue would appear and, as soon as it did,
quickly clicked OK.  This final time the installation fileset was
unpacked complete with progress bar and the familiar dark aqua installer
circa Windows 95 filled up the screen and the installation ran to
successful completion.

Question: Why doesn't the FM start-up splash and About FrameMaker show
v. 8.04 instead of the more obscure 8.0p277?  Or why doesn't the updater
or Adobe's download pages show 8.0p277?

Keep up the World's Best Practice Benchmark Updater technology, Adobe!
Or are the strange grammar and content of error messages and the poor
software builds a consequence of shifting development to India?  If some
quality control doesn't start happening Adobe will see their reputation
eroding away.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>